Celebrate Black History Month!
This printable and digital book study includes reading and writing activities that can be completed as a class or independently, using Jody Nyasha Warner’s (illustrated by Richard Rudnicki) book entitled Viola Desmond Won’t be Budged. Viola’s story takes place in 1946 in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia, and outlines her experience with racial segregation in a movie theatre. This book study includes: a descriptive adjectives activity, letter writing, making connections “Text-to-Self” and “Text-to-World”. This package can be used with grades 3-6. Rubric included.
About This Product:
- A PDF Version that includes a brief Viola Desmond Biography
- Link to YouTube read aloud
- A Google Slides deck
- Product includes:
• 1 descriptive adjectives activity
• 1 Letter Writing activity
• 1 Making Connections "Text-to-Self" and "Text-to-World" activity
• 1 Rubric (Reading and Writing - not grade-specific)
Fonts by PB Fonts and KG Fonts on TpT and Clip Art from LittleRed on TpT.
Similar Resources You May Be Interested In:
Have You Thanked an Inventor Today? Book Study
The World Needs Who You Were Made to Be Book Study
The Couch Potato Book Study
Wonder by R.J. Palacio Complete Novel Study
Rosa Parks: A Life of Courage Book Study
The Most Magnificent Thing Book Study
What are the benefits of using Smarty Pants Studies’ educational resources?
All Smarty Pants Studies’ resources have been used in the classroom and crafted using Ontario curriculum expectations with increasing student engagement and understanding in mind. Smarty Pants Studies’ resources are little to no-prep and many are cross-curricular, print and/or digital, allow for student choice and foster creativity.
Before you leave a review, a friendly reminder that I am a hardworking teacher and small business owner; I appreciate all reviews and feedback (positive or constructive), but please ensure you have used the product and your rating is reasonable and justified before submitting.
· Do not give this product away to others. If you wish to purchase multiple copies to share, you will receive a discount for any additional licenses you purchase.
· Do not claim this work as your own.
· Do not cover or delete the Smarty Pants Studies footer or logo.
· If you have any other questions about acceptable use of Smarty Pants Studies products, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in Smarty Pants Studies! Follow along on Teachers Pay Teachers and @smartypantsstudies on Instagram to stay in the loop on new product launches!
top of page
bottom of page